Eloy, Happ, Freitas, and Carhart Go Yard at Minor League Camp
Eloy Jimenez belted a two-run 1st inning home run, P. J. Higgins collected four hits (three singles and a triple), scored a run, and drove-in another, and SP Preston Morrison tossed five innings of shutout ball, leading the South Bend Cubs to a 3-1 victory over the Myrtle Beach Pelicans on Field #4, and David Freitas clubbed a two-run 1st inning HR (his second round-tripper in two days) and Billy McKinney drilled a tie-breaking RBI single in the 6th, as the Tennessee Smokies edged the Iowa Cubs 3-2 on Field #6, in Minor League Camp game action Friday morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Ian Happ smacked a solo HR for Myrtle Beach in a losing cause on Field #4, and Ben Carhart hammered a solo home run in a losing cause for Iowa on Field #6. (Carhart was temporarily moved-up to the Iowa squad from Tennessee because the three catchers assigned to Iowa are in Las Vegas with the parent club).
The game on Field #6 was called after seven innings of play.
There were a number of roster moves made at Minor League Camp prior to the two games, with the Opening Day rosters of the four full-season clubs (particularly regarding position players and starting pitchers) becoming a bit more clear. There are still a few more moves/cuts to be made, however, especially involving the AAA Iowa and Hi-A Myrtle Beach bullpens and the Iowa outfield, and it's always possible that some of the assignments could be changed at the last minute due to injuries or other factors.
Cubs Minor League Camp Rosters
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart (both updated daily)
Also, 18 players who are assigned to the Cubs Dominican Acdemy but who were not invited to Minor League Camp will be attending Extended Spring Training and will be arriving over the next several days. The first three (LHP Pablo Ochoa, LHP Eugenio Palma, and RHP Andri Rondon) arrived today. Ochoa and A. Rondon attended Instructs in Mesa last Fall, but Palma is making his U. S. debut.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, DH: 0-3 (1-3, F-8, HBP, 4-3)
2. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (K, 5-3, K, 1B)
3. Ian Happ, 2B: 2-4 (4-3, 6-3, HR, 1B, R, RBI)
4. Jason Vosler, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 1B, F-8, L-7 DP)
5. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-4 (6-4 FC, F-8, K, K, CS)
6. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 0-4 (K, 5-3, K, F-9)
7a. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-2 (2B, L-8, BB)
7b. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-0 (BB)
8. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 0-4 (6-3, F-9, 4-6-3 DP, F-9)
9. Charcer Burks, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-9)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Donnie Dewees, CF: 1-4 (3-1, F-8, K, 1B, R)
2. P. J. Higgins, DH #1: 4-4 (3B, 1B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, CS)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-4 (HR, P-4, F-7, E-6, R, 2 RBI)
4. Matt Rose, 3B: 1-4 (2B, F-8, K, F-9)
5. Ian Rice, C: 1-3 (BB, F-8, 1B, F-9 DP)
6. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (F-7 DP, F-7, K)
7. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-2 (3-U, 3-1, BB)
8. Daniel Spingola, RF: 1-3 (F-8, 3B, 3-U)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 1-3 (1B, P-6, 1-3)
10. Eddy Julio Martinez, DH #2: 0-3 (P-4, K, 6-3)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jonathan Martinez: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 3/8 GO/AO, 71 pitches (47 strikes)
2. James Farris: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (18 strikes)
3. David Berg: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 33 pitches (23 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Preston Morrison: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 65 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Craig Brooks: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Scott Effross: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 32 pitches (19 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
SS Gleyber Torres: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: NONE
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 1-1 CS
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ian Rice: 1-1 CS
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Charcer Burks - runner (Matt Rose) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
RF Jeffrey Baez - runner (P. J. Higgins) doubled off 2nd base after F-9
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
LF Eloy Jimenez - runner (Ian Happ) doubled off 2nd base after L-7
1. Jake Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (3-1, 3-1, 5-3, 1-3)
2. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-4 (F-9, F-9, 1B, 6-3)
3. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-3 (BB, K, 1B, 3-1, R)
4. David Freitas, C: 2-4 (HR, 1B, F-8, F-8, R, 2 RBI)
5. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 0-2 (3-U, F-9, BB)
6. Victor Caratini, DH #1: 1-2 (2B, BB, 4-3)
7. Mark Zagunis, LF: 1-3 (6-3, L-4, 2B, R)
8. Billy McKinney, RF: 1-2 (K, BB, 1B, RBI)
9a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-2 (F-9, 4-3)
9b. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-1 (6-3 DP)
1a. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, F-8, 1B)
1b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
2. Juan Carlos Perez, CF: 0-3 (5-3, 3-U, F-8)
3. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (1B, K, 5-3)
4. Matt Murton, DH: 0-3 (K, F-9, 4-3)
5. Bijan Rademacher, RF: -3 (1B, L-8, F-7)
6. Ben Carhart, C: 1-3 (HR, 6-3, L-7, R, RBI)
7. Ryan Dent, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, 2B)
8. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, K)
9. Roberto Caro, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 6-3, R)
1. Rob Zastryzny: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 5/5 GO/AO, 63 pitches (50 strikes)
2. Corey Black: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 7 pitches (5 strikes)
3. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
1. Stephen Fife: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 6/6 GO/AO, 69 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Jean Machi: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario: 1.0 IP, 0 H,. 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
1B Kelly Dugan: E-3 (errant throw to 3rd base allowed runner to score
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
David Freitas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
Dolorous Jon Lester 7 hours 39 min ago (view)
That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.
crunch 15 hours 45 min ago (view)
...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.
...and he closes it out with a K. neat.
this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.
crunch 15 hours 53 min ago (view)
strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.
homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.
crunch 16 hours 1 min ago (view)
welcome back kimbrel.
1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.
crunch 16 hours 32 min ago (view)
one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.
crunch 17 hours 27 min ago (view)
woo, a good cubs away game.
crunch 19 hours 38 min ago (view)
heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / caratini / kemp(2nd) / Q
crunch 20 hours 59 min ago (view)
so stoked for the williamsport game.
the increasing amount of off-site games is a bit concerning (middle of nowhere Field of Dreams field, really?), but I love this one. it's played out great so far and giving the kids playing in the LL series some primo seats (hope this continues) is a great touch.
Arizona Phil 22 hours 20 min ago (view)
Craig Kimbrel reinstated from IL, Duane Underwood Jr optioned to Iowa, Mark Zagunis recalled as the "26th man" for tonight's game (special travel required to get to Williamsport so MLB Comissioner permits 26th man for both clubs).
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Charlie 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.