2010 Winter Meetings Day Three
10:30 PM CST (Rob G.): A previous Levine post said Cubs are interested in acquiring Jason Frasor after missing out on him last season. Medical reports on Brandon Webb are in the Cubs doctors hands and Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos is still on the table, but the Cubs want Darren O'Day included in a deal.
10:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Levine says the Rays and Cubs met for a second time since the meetings began, presumably to discuss Garza and that the Cubs "package" was the most attractive. (7th grade chuckle). Brewers and Rangers are also in the mix.
5:18 PM CST (Rob G.): Joel Sherman says the Rays are thus far unsinspired by offers for Garza and will likely wait until July to see if value goes up.
1:56 PM CST (Rob G.): Well at least the Cubs called to ask about Zack Greinke.
1:44 PM CST (Rob G.): There were some multi-year offers out there for Pena with Nats, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays and Braves showing interest. (O's seem to be at least one team that made a multi-year offer and the biggest competition according to Pena).
12:46 PM CST (Rob G.): There it is, $5M to Pena is deferred until January 2012.
12:26 PM CST (Rob G.): Pena press conference updates culled from Twitter.
- Grew up watching the Cubs, cites watching George Bell (~shrug~).
- "To play for the Cubs was my preference...I love the city, my family loves the city, and we have a good chance at winning."
- Boras cited Rudy as one of the reasons they liked the Cubs and confidence that he can help him improve on last season.
- Rumor that Yankees could be going after Mark Prior along with rumors that they'll try and bring back Kerry Wood once the Cliff Lee sweepstakes are over. Yes, Rothschild, Prior and Wood back together again is a looming possibility.
- Trib story says Cubs targets were Pena and Berkman and talk about LaRoche and Loney were overstated. Nats, Blue Jays, Mariners and Orioles made offers or were at least interested. No mention of deferred money from them, although Levine has already put it out there. Also says they're working on trades and still talking to Brandon Webb.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine chat excerpts:
- Says Cubs like Garza and have young talent Rays are seeking, although Archer and B. Jackson seem safe from being moved.
- Chris Davis is still in the mix even with the Pena signing.
- Mentions deferred money in Pena deal again, but no specifics.
- Cubs still high on Vitters (as they should be).
To the rumor cave...
- With Pena about to be signed, look for the Cubs to intensify trying to move Fukudome and giving Colvin the everyday job.
- Same report from Levine suggests the Cubs are making a push for Matt Garza. (Claps hands like a cymbal playing monkey). Here's a more proper link to the story.
Craig A. 7 hours 38 min ago (view)
I'll bet the analytics guys told him to.
Eric S 9 hours 52 min ago (view)
Bote's single accounts for RBI #26 on the year. Happ leads the team with 28 RBI - Bote got his in 72 fewer at bats than Happ.
crunch 10 hours 36 min ago (view)
pinch hitting j.martinez for v.caratini is another "why we doing this" batting substitution to add to the pile.
so far i'm a bit perplexed by some of the guys d.ross is having pinch hit in certain situations more than anything he's doing. almost everything else seems mostly sane.
crunch 10 hours 45 min ago (view)
lester with a "comeback" appearance... it's PIT, though...who could easily end up not even winning 20 games this season (15 as of now). still looked decent, even if not overpowering.
6ip 4h 1bb 1k, 0r/er
crunch 10 hours 48 min ago (view)
yeah, the oblique is one of those "few days, few weeks, months?" injuries. trying to come back too soon puts guys back to starting over.
Dolorous Jon Lester 11 hours 1 min ago (view)
Depending the severity, that may be how his Cub tenure ends. Hopefully not, he deserves better than that
crunch 11 hours 26 min ago (view)
bryant down with "right oblique" pain...
Charlie 12 hours 9 min ago (view)
The Troy Glaus comp has held up pretty well.
I don't know whether to think he's playing through an injury or going through similar small-sample frustrations as Baez, Rizzo, Schwarber, and to a lesser extent Contreras.
Dolorous Jon Lester 12 hours 18 min ago (view)
Shockingly by virtue of that HR he has been infinitely more productive than Jose Martinez
crunch 12 hours 30 min ago (view)
baez just bunted for a RBI single. that's both impressive and sad.
honestly, there's more than a few power hitters out there that can't bunt worth a damn and he pulled it off with enough ease you know he's put some work in. it's nice to see it done well even if you don't wanna see him do it a lot.
Eric S 12 hours 31 min ago (view)
Anyone else remember how Andre Dawson and his creaky knees looked in the 1989 NLCS against the Giants? That's the vibe I'm getting with KB. Not sure what is up with Bote but I hope he gets some consideration for starting at third.
crunch 13 hours 10 min ago (view)
cubs put i.vargas on the 10-day IL...later dude...thanks for that homer.
crunch 13 hours 29 min ago (view)
happ / rizzo / contreras / schwarber / bryant / heyward / baez / kipnis / caratini(DH)
Q will start tomorrow night.
Arizona Phil 16 hours 20 min ago (view)
If spotty command and inconsistency wasn't a concern, Rex Brothers would be Josh Hader. Right? I mean, a LHRP with a 95-97 FB and an 89 SL and he strikes out the side (which also happened to be the heart of the Twins order) 1-2-3 (all three swinging).
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
K...cubs lose. meh.
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
we really gonna leave this game to nico hoerner with 2 out and the bases loaded in the 9th? a'ite then. c'mon dude.