2010 Winter Meetings Day Three
10:30 PM CST (Rob G.): A previous Levine post said Cubs are interested in acquiring Jason Frasor after missing out on him last season. Medical reports on Brandon Webb are in the Cubs doctors hands and Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos is still on the table, but the Cubs want Darren O'Day included in a deal.
10:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Levine says the Rays and Cubs met for a second time since the meetings began, presumably to discuss Garza and that the Cubs "package" was the most attractive. (7th grade chuckle). Brewers and Rangers are also in the mix.
5:18 PM CST (Rob G.): Joel Sherman says the Rays are thus far unsinspired by offers for Garza and will likely wait until July to see if value goes up.
1:56 PM CST (Rob G.): Well at least the Cubs called to ask about Zack Greinke.
1:44 PM CST (Rob G.): There were some multi-year offers out there for Pena with Nats, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays and Braves showing interest. (O's seem to be at least one team that made a multi-year offer and the biggest competition according to Pena).
12:46 PM CST (Rob G.): There it is, $5M to Pena is deferred until January 2012.
12:26 PM CST (Rob G.): Pena press conference updates culled from Twitter.
- Grew up watching the Cubs, cites watching George Bell (~shrug~).
- "To play for the Cubs was my preference...I love the city, my family loves the city, and we have a good chance at winning."
- Boras cited Rudy as one of the reasons they liked the Cubs and confidence that he can help him improve on last season.
- Rumor that Yankees could be going after Mark Prior along with rumors that they'll try and bring back Kerry Wood once the Cliff Lee sweepstakes are over. Yes, Rothschild, Prior and Wood back together again is a looming possibility.
- Trib story says Cubs targets were Pena and Berkman and talk about LaRoche and Loney were overstated. Nats, Blue Jays, Mariners and Orioles made offers or were at least interested. No mention of deferred money from them, although Levine has already put it out there. Also says they're working on trades and still talking to Brandon Webb.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine chat excerpts:
- Says Cubs like Garza and have young talent Rays are seeking, although Archer and B. Jackson seem safe from being moved.
- Chris Davis is still in the mix even with the Pena signing.
- Mentions deferred money in Pena deal again, but no specifics.
- Cubs still high on Vitters (as they should be).
To the rumor cave...
- With Pena about to be signed, look for the Cubs to intensify trying to move Fukudome and giving Colvin the everyday job.
- Same report from Levine suggests the Cubs are making a push for Matt Garza. (Claps hands like a cymbal playing monkey). Here's a more proper link to the story.
bradsbeard 16 hours 58 min ago (view)
Several non-prospects ate up spots as well. Ultimately wish they had given a few more Rivas types a shot there.
tim815 17 hours 56 min ago (view)
Only 60 spots in SB. Others benefited more from the time.
crunch 20 hours 49 min ago (view)
not phil, but i think everyone is holding off on his potential ceiling until he gains enough weight to not look like someone you want to buy a sandwich every time you see him.
big upside if his skills can strengthen as he builds his body.
too early for a solid comp, but i wouldn't feel uncomfortable throwing ian happ's name around (bit better arm than happ, though).
bradsbeard 21 hours 46 min ago (view)
Me too. Thought it was weird he wasn't in South Bend at all.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
I am very, very intrigued by Rivas. If the DH is unfortunately here to stay, he's a prime candidate for that and give Rizzo a day off 1B here and there. If no DH, hopefully he is a passable OF. Big believer in his hitting ability
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Phil, do you think Chris Morel is the real deal?
tim815 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Blue and Red DSL instructs rosters. No Brayan Altuve.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
yup, they're gonna try. starts in about a month.
Hagsag 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
Has it been announced whether there will be a DR winter league this winter?
tim815 2 days 10 hours ago (view)
That's as good of news as we'll get for awhile.
Arizona Phil 2 days 13 hours ago (view)
TIM: If nothing else, signing a boatload of IFA (35) in the 2019-20 ISP is a pretty good indicator that the Cubs fully intend to run two DSL teams into the forseeable future.
tim815 2 days 14 hours ago (view)
Of the 11 new guys, I'm leaning on Marino Sandy and Jerry Torres to be the most likely to reach full-season ball or get traded
Arizona Phil 2 days 15 hours ago (view)
OF Ian Miller (outrighted to the minors on 9/3) elected free-agency just prior to the 10/15 deadline, and the Cubs have signed RHRP Juan Gamez (who they released on 9/9) to a 2021 minor league contract.
bigsky33 3 days 21 hours ago (view)
Phil, were you watching from outside the stadium?
crunch 3 days 22 hours ago (view)
nice, we dont have to hear about the creation of "The AZPhil Rule" a week from now because you watched a game.
also, it's nice that c.morel and l.verdugo are getting work. hell, it's nice all those guys are getting work. it's rough that so many in the low minors have been hobbled by this 2020 stuff.
Arizona Phil 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
HAGSAG: Just to make it very clear, there were no violations of any MLB directives or rules & regulations pertaining to in-person fan attendance at AZIL games.