2010 Winter Meetings Day Three
10:30 PM CST (Rob G.): A previous Levine post said Cubs are interested in acquiring Jason Frasor after missing out on him last season. Medical reports on Brandon Webb are in the Cubs doctors hands and Chris Davis for Robinson Chirinos is still on the table, but the Cubs want Darren O'Day included in a deal.
10:17 PM CST (Rob G.): Levine says the Rays and Cubs met for a second time since the meetings began, presumably to discuss Garza and that the Cubs "package" was the most attractive. (7th grade chuckle). Brewers and Rangers are also in the mix.
5:18 PM CST (Rob G.): Joel Sherman says the Rays are thus far unsinspired by offers for Garza and will likely wait until July to see if value goes up.
1:56 PM CST (Rob G.): Well at least the Cubs called to ask about Zack Greinke.
1:44 PM CST (Rob G.): There were some multi-year offers out there for Pena with Nats, Orioles, Mariners, Blue Jays and Braves showing interest. (O's seem to be at least one team that made a multi-year offer and the biggest competition according to Pena).
12:46 PM CST (Rob G.): There it is, $5M to Pena is deferred until January 2012.
12:26 PM CST (Rob G.): Pena press conference updates culled from Twitter.
- Grew up watching the Cubs, cites watching George Bell (~shrug~).
- "To play for the Cubs was my preference...I love the city, my family loves the city, and we have a good chance at winning."
- Boras cited Rudy as one of the reasons they liked the Cubs and confidence that he can help him improve on last season.
- Rumor that Yankees could be going after Mark Prior along with rumors that they'll try and bring back Kerry Wood once the Cliff Lee sweepstakes are over. Yes, Rothschild, Prior and Wood back together again is a looming possibility.
- Trib story says Cubs targets were Pena and Berkman and talk about LaRoche and Loney were overstated. Nats, Blue Jays, Mariners and Orioles made offers or were at least interested. No mention of deferred money from them, although Levine has already put it out there. Also says they're working on trades and still talking to Brandon Webb.
12:20 PM CST (Rob G.): Bruce Levine chat excerpts:
- Says Cubs like Garza and have young talent Rays are seeking, although Archer and B. Jackson seem safe from being moved.
- Chris Davis is still in the mix even with the Pena signing.
- Mentions deferred money in Pena deal again, but no specifics.
- Cubs still high on Vitters (as they should be).
To the rumor cave...
- With Pena about to be signed, look for the Cubs to intensify trying to move Fukudome and giving Colvin the everyday job.
- Same report from Levine suggests the Cubs are making a push for Matt Garza. (Claps hands like a cymbal playing monkey). Here's a more proper link to the story.
Arizona Phil 47 sec ago (view)
Rex Brothers and Tony Wolters reached five years of MLB Service Time this weekend, so Brothers cannot be sent outright to the minors without his consent and Wolters cannot be optioned or outrighted to the minors without his consent.
Article XIX-A status is different from Article XX-D status where a player can elect free-agency after being outrighted. A player gets Article XX-D status if he has been outrighted previously in his career and/or once he accrues three years of MLB Service Time or has "Super Two" status in salary arbitration.
Arizona Phil 14 min 16 sec ago (view)
It's not good to play bad teams early because they have the confidence and energy they won't have later in the season after they realize they suck and all is lost.
crunch 7 hours 52 min ago (view)
as of the end of this game (game 9) there's only 1 player on the team hitting more than .250 (j.marisnick).
bryant, baez, contreras, marisnick are the only guys hitting more than .200.
Cubster 8 hours 33 min ago (view)
Two awful days of baseball.
On top of that, Dexter Fowler (Angels) tore his ACL and will undergo season ending reconstruction surgery.
He's a hero in my Cub/heart no matter how the remainder of his career goes, but at 35 yrs, he will have a rough road ahead.
crunch 9 hours 14 min ago (view)
these bats are killing me.
they need more than a waffle maker to feed these bats. julio zueleta needs to be hired for batting coach and the ricketts need to toss some serious loot into the fruit budget for him.
crunch 9 hours 50 min ago (view)
lefty goose goosage reporting in...
crunch 11 hours 21 min ago (view)
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
career high for zach davies, 7 runs given up...only took 1.2 innings.
Cubster 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
Ex Cub Dexter Fowler, now with Maddon's Angels goes on the DL with a knee sprain.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
AAA exhibition game @south bend rained out.
Cubster 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Coach Craig Driver tested positive for Coronavirus and was sent back to Chicago. Apparently, no other Cub tested positive. No word about symptoms so it sounds like it was picked up in whatever the regular testing protocol covers including Wed, Thursday and Friday which were negative for the "traveling party".
bradsbeard 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
Sure makes it sound like Schwarber and Lester were among the positives. Hate that for them, especially Jon who has the cancer history and the recent thyroid issue. Hopefully both recover without significant lingering effects.
crunch 2 days 57 min ago (view)
j.musgrove throws SD's first no-hitter. it would have been a perfect game if he didn't hit a batter.
not bad for his 2nd start for them.
Cubster 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
Nats Covid update (wrt Former Cub factor): Brad Hand, Yan Gomes, Alex Avila and Jordy Mercer have all been cleared to return after being away due to COVID-19 protocols. Josh Bell, Kyle Schwarber, Jon Lester and Josh Harrison have not been cleared yet,
Still looking forward to seeing Schwarbs play in a Nats uniform.
Jackstraw 2 days 6 hours ago (view)
Right. Three batter minimum. Hopefully the only time I'll need to be reminded this year.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 13 hours ago (view)
I'd be good with either. The other can go when Rowan Wick is ready, as far as I'm concerned. Hope they keep Maples instead of one of those two.